- #ShePaddles weekend comes to Wales – bringing together world-leading female coaches, beginners and enthusiasts for skills workshops and masterclasses.
- An initiative hosted in Snowdonia aims to encourage more women to progress in their passion.
National Outdoor Centre, Plas y Brenin is, for the first time, joining forces with Canoe Cymru to host #ShePaddles – an initiative that aims to inspire and encourage more women and girls into paddlesports.
Marking the event’s debut at Plas y Brenin in Snowdonia, it will occur on the 7th and 8th of May 2022. The two-day event will bring together beginners, enthusiasts, inspiring instructors, coaches, ambassadors and brands with some of Great Britain’s most accomplished, talented and inspiring coaches.
Split across the two days; the weekend has something for everyone, from skills development workshops to masterclasses with the professionals and entertainment on Saturday evening. Workshops will be hosted by athletes including Lowri Davies, Sian Sykes, Lizzie Harrington, Chris Evans and Dave Janes.
Attendees will be able to learn from the very best coaches and leaders across canoeing and kayaking – including those who have previously competed at Olympic level. The event will see a jam-packed itinerary including workshops on kayak, canoeing and SUP coaching and leadership, safety and rescue, navigation, planning and kit preparation.
During the evening, Aber Falls Whisky Distillery will also be hosting a unique gin tasting event for attendees. Aber Falls, located on the foothills of Snowdonia, in the village of Abergwyngregyn, is the first whisky distillery in North Wales for more than 100 years.
Helen Barnard, Chief Instructor, Plas y Brenin, commented: “We’re excited to be hosting #ShePaddles in association with Canoe Cymru. The weekend will bring together the best and most inspiring coaches in the paddlesports world to share insights and tips to inspire current and future generations of female paddlers, whatever their ambition. Together, we have developed the ideal environment to introduce, encourage and support any female that wishes to participate in Paddlesport safely and responsibly – and we hope for this to be the first of many more.”
#ShePaddles was started by British Canoeing to even things up – even in 2020, only 3 in 10 members are female. The ambition is to keep them progressing to where they want to be – whether that’s paddling with family, volunteering as a coach at a local club, becoming an instructor or competing at a national level.
Tickets are available from £60 per day or £110 for two days and must be booked in advance from the Plas y Brenin website.
- Kayak Coaching Workshop with Plas y Brenin instructor Chris Evans or Laura Wynne.
- Canoe Coaching Workshop with Lizzie Harrington, holder of the highest canoeing coaching and leadership awards offered by British Canoeing.
- SUP Coaching Workshop with Sian Sykes, Stand Up Paddleboarding Adventurer and Environmental Ambassador.
- Safety and Rescue Workshop with Plas y Brenin instructor Matt Giblin.
- Navigation, Planning and Kit Preparation Workshop with Plas y Brenin instructor Dave Janes.
- Children’s Paddlesport Fun Session.
- The complete beginner Workshop (opportunity to try all crafts and get a taste of life on the water) (Please confirm if this is a workshop option).
- Freestyle Masterclass with Lowri Davies.
- Children’s Paddlesport Fun Day.
- Kayaking Journey.
- White Water Kayak Journey.
- Sea Kayak Journey.
- Canoe Journey.
- Stand up Paddleboard Journey.